Happening Now
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 25Seniors! Buy Your Gradnite Tickets By This Friday! Only 10 Left!
  • April 23If You Plan to Participate in the Powderpuff Game the Informational Meeting is this Friday, at Lunch, Outside the Ethel Pope Auditorium
  • April 18Seniors: Remember that Senior Appeal forms for Prom are due to Mr. Diaz's office by May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!
The Student News Site of Santa Maria High School

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

Akira Toriyama gone but what does this mean for Dragon Ball?

The creator of well-known manga and anime recently passed away, but what does this mean in regards to his creation?

Dragon ball z is extremely famous around the world with references made in almost every piece of media. Kids who grew up watching the show can’t deny that they’ve at least tried to go Super Saiyan or do a Kame-Hame-ha attack.

With the first issue being shown in the Weekly Shonen Jump on December 3rd, 1984, Dragon Ball depicted a strong boy by the name of Son Goku who would go on a journey to find the “Dragon balls”. This story takes reference to a Chinese story novel known as Journey to west about the pilgrimage of a Buddhist monk, Xuan Zang. With each character holding reference to the original material, Dragon ball was an action-packed, gag-filled manga that would take the world by storm.

Recently, due to Toriyama’s passing, many manga artists who took inspiration from him have given out statements. Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece stated via Shonen Jump, “The hole is too big. Sadness washes over me when I think that I will never see him again… Toriyama’s works became more and more important to me as I got closer to the same stage.”

A statement from Eiichiro Oda in regards to the passing of Akira Toriyama.

Ever since the release of Dragon Ball, Toriyama had always illustrated and written the story on his own. It wasn’t until the release of the Dragon Ball Super Manga that someone new had come up and taken over illustrating the artwork for Dragon Ball.

Toyotarou, who previously worked on non-cannon stories such as Dragon Ball Heroes, had started working along side Toriyama on the new Dragon Ball Super Manga in 2012. According to Dragon Ball wiki, Toriyama believed that, out of all the artists he had worked with, Toyotarou had artwork that mostly resembled his own.

Interestingly enough, in Dragon Ball Super chapter 103, a father and son sparring session between Goku and Gohan, there’s a hopeful message that comes from Goku.

An interesting message from Son Goku, stating that the Earth is in safe hands with Gohan as it’s protector.

Similar to how Dragon Ball and a lot of it’s properties were left in the hands of Toyotarou, Gohan is now the protector of Earth, as Toriyama had intended. Both mantles were passed down to their rightful successors.

Jose Alvarez, a Senior at Santa Maria Highschool who has watched Dragon Ball since he was introduced to it by his older brother stated, “Toriyama was like Lebron (James), a man amongst men  both masters in their crafts with Toriyama leading manga sales  and Lebron with a hall of fame career in the NBA both glorious kings, it greatly saddened me to hear that he had passed” Jose believes that Dragon Ball is extremely important to the Hispanic community.

A fan drawing of a Mexican Soccer team drawn over Kid Goku.

You can read more about Akira Toriyama here.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Breeze
$125
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Santa Maria High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.