Happening Now
  • May 2Support the Saints band at their concert on Friday (5/3)! Tickets are only $5
  • May 1Saints of the Spring Season and CAASPP Winner Celebration will be held during lunch in the band shelter (5/1)
  • May 1Graduation Practice: 6/5 Seniors are to be in Wilson gym by 8:30 a.m. and practice @ 9 a.m
  • April 30Senior Panoramic Pictures are now being sold for $30 at the ASB Business Office. Get yours today!
  • April 30Go to Room 127 during lunch on May 8th if you're interested in running for Senior Prom court!
  • April 30Prom tickets are now $75 at the ASB Business Office!
  • April 30Seniors: Check your email to see what you owe ($) and pay it before June 4th to be able to receive your diploma!
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

SMHS Alpine Club New Hiking Shoes

SMHS Alpine Club at the Mountain Air store, shopping for their new high-quality hiking shoes. Photo Provided By Ms. Pineda

Several members of the SMHS Alpine Club will be taking their next hike with the proper footwear, thanks to a donation from Kiwanis Club of Santa Maria Valley and generous discounts from Mountain Air of San Luis Obispo.

The Kiwanis Club recently awarded a $500 donation to Alpine Club to help students purchase high quality hiking shoes for local hiking trips and their upcoming annual trip to Yosemite in May.

On March 5, the students were welcomed at Mountain Air by store owners Josh and Lindsey Harring and their employees. They personally fitted each student to help them find the right hiking shoes.

“My first time getting something from the Mountain Air store was cool because I got some high quality hiking shoes and that was very exciting, and I look forward to using them.” – 9th grade Anthony Agustin

“The majority of our club members do not own adequate hiking shoes. Access to proper shoes will make their hiking experiences more enjoyable, safer, and will provide additional motivation for them to continue hiking and participating in healthy outdoor activities, which will benefit them for years to come. We are so grateful to Kiwanis of Santa Maria Valley and Mountain Air Sports for providing this meaningful opportunity to our students. – Amy Hennings (Co-Alpine Club Advisor)

Alpine Club Co-Advisor Oscar Velasco added, “It was great to receive support from the Mountain Air store and the Kiwanis of Santa Maria Valley to help students get the proper equipment to continue to enjoy the outdoors.’’

“The SMHS Alpine Club is creating opportunities for students to explore and enjoy the outdoors, planting seeds that could grow into a lifetime of adventure. We are honored and proud to support their efforts!” – Josh and Lindsey Harring.

The Alpine club has been around since the 1960s on campus and helps students connect to the outdoors and explore the local trails around the Central Coast. Through the club, students can explore opportunities to connect with nature.