Happening Now
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 25Seniors! Buy Your Gradnite Tickets By This Friday! Only 10 Left!
  • April 23If You Plan to Participate in the Powderpuff Game the Informational Meeting is this Friday, at Lunch, Outside the Ethel Pope Auditorium
  • April 18Seniors: Remember that Senior Appeal forms for Prom are due to Mr. Diaz's office by May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!
The Student News Site of Santa Maria High School

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

SMHS’ FBLA At Hardy Diagnostics

Santa Maria High School students at the Hardy DIagnostics, photo provided by Ms. Pineda

Santa Maria High School Future Business Leaders of America members currently enrolled in Financial Accounting, Professional Business Communication, AHC Intro to Entrepreneurship and Marketing, toured Santa Maria’s Hardy Diagnostics on Friday, March 8.

The “Business Tour” and a “Speaker Series” are coordinated by Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce’s employee liaison Yuliana Hernandez. Since 2019, this ongoing partnership with the FBLA has provided over 15 speakers, community service opportunities, internships, and business tours for our high school students and staff.

The Saints found the trip engaging.

“This company offers endless job opportunities, from packaging all the way to research in science labs, which was very eye-opening to my peers and me since many of us were not aware of all of the possible jobs we can do after high school,’’ said Nixmari Chumacero, 11th grade.

“I liked how Hardy’s staff deeply care about their customer service and I had no idea that there was a company in Santa Maria that is one of the 3rd largest culture media manufacturers in the United States,’’ said Gabriela Rojas-Garcia, 11th grade.

“I am very thankful that we were allowed to visit the company and learn new things. I had so much fun learning about how your company contributes to our hospitals and the medical industry,’’ said Lizbeth Baez, 12th grade.

“I was impressed that Hardy Diagnostics was given a job (making COVID tests) that was thought to be impossible, and they surpassed all expectations during a global pandemic,” said Orlando Olivera Venegas, 12th grade.

Cindy Quaid and Alejandra Fulton, FBLA Advisers/SMHS Business Educators added, “We are grateful for the SMVCC commitment to partner with our student organizations. Thank you SMVCC and Hardy Diagnostic staff for your time and contributions to our students’ experiences. You have helped broaden the minds of our next generation of business leaders.”