Happening Now
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 25Seniors! Buy Your Gradnite Tickets By This Friday! Only 10 Left!
  • April 23If You Plan to Participate in the Powderpuff Game the Informational Meeting is this Friday, at Lunch, Outside the Ethel Pope Auditorium
  • April 18Seniors: Remember that Senior Appeal forms for Prom are due to Mr. Diaz's office by May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

NASA Jet Propulsion Lab blasts away at the speed of light.

On January 31st 2024, Physics students and staff from SMHS drove down to the Jet Propulsion Lab in Caltech Pasadena, CA
Kasey Baltodano
Pictured: physics science classes toured the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California on January 31st. “it was nice to see all the robots and satellites,” stated senior Kasey Baltodano.

Freshman from physics classes were waiting for the bus to arrive at the Stowell drop off at 5 am. The two buses left Santa Maria High school at about 5:45. It was a long drive down to Pasadena with Los Angeles traffic delaying the trip.

The bus arriving at the Stowell drop off. (Kasey Baltodano)

The two buses arrived at the NASA Jet Propulsion lab around 9 o’clock. Both buses unloaded and we were divided into two groups (between the two buses). The tour guide introduced himself and other tour guides and gave us each a lanyard with passes for the tour to be seen at all times.

Students lining up to receive their tour passes. (Kasey Baltodano)
Marisol Viegas showing off her JPL tour pass. (Kasey Baltodano)

We then walked down to an auditorium where we received a history lesson on the Jet Propulsion Lab.

It began with a group of students who graduated Caltech University and ran a series of tests in which they made explosions in their dorm rooms and classrooms. Eventually, they were kicked out of Caltech and found another spot for their shenanigans.

On the West border of Pasadena was dry wasteland known as Arroyo Seco. In this land they were able to continue their experiments with rocket motors. Soon enough they began to see success. On October 31st, 1936 they had they’re first successful rocket launch that didn’t lead to an explosion for ten seconds. This had been the first sign of hope for the notorious “Suicide Squad.”

In 1943, due to their successful launch they had gained the interests of the U.S. Military. Since then JPL has been one of ten NASA centers around the U.S. They’re main focus is sending robots out into space instead of humans due to them being more replaceable.

Inside the Auditorium there were also some projects that JPL had worked on such as the Twin Voyagers. A peculiar fact about both voyagers is that they carry a record with instructions on how to build a functional record player in case life is found way out where they travel.

A model of the voyager that carries a record with sounds from around the world. (Kasey Baltodano)

Another interesting orbiter from JPL was the Juno satellite which is currently out by the Leo constellation exploring Juno.

A model of the Asteroid 3 Juno Satellite orbiter currently exploring Jupiter. (Kasey Baltodano)

After that short introduction we were then shown a video about JPL’s mission to find life around the galaxy. The video was then followed by a short walk around the museum where we saw different projects previously worked on by JPL.

A rover in the middle of the Museum. (Kasey Baltodano)
A satellite dish students were able to play around with and move around. (Kasey Baltodano)

The Europa clipper is a satellite that is heading for Jupiter’s 3rd largest moon, Europa. As we saw in the presentation of JPL’s mission, we know that they are exploring around the galaxy looking for life. Water is a huge sign of life, and we now know that there are layers of ice on Europa. This was a huge discovery, and the Europa clipper is going to be launched up there on October 10th, 2024.

JPL Employees working on the Europa Clipper before it is sent down to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida for testing. (Kasey Baltodano)
A mannequin displaying proper lab attire to prevent contaminating space. (Kasey Baltodano)
Mars Rover model outside of the control room building. (Kasey Baltodano)

We then walked down to one of the main buildings where there would normally be a group of people observing a launched rocket but was currently empty. Inside the control room you will find live readings of satellite dishes around the world in Australia, Spain and the United States.

The control room. (Kasey Baltodano)

After the visit inside the control room we walked back down to the entrance of the tour at 12:00 pm and got back on the buses to go home. We made a quick 1 hour pitstop at In N Out in thousand oaks. After a long bus ride, the two buses arrived back in Santa Maria High School around 4:30 pm.