Happening Now
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 25Seniors! Buy Your Gradnite Tickets By This Friday! Only 10 Left!
  • April 23If You Plan to Participate in the Powderpuff Game the Informational Meeting is this Friday, at Lunch, Outside the Ethel Pope Auditorium
  • April 18Seniors: Remember that Senior Appeal forms for Prom are due to Mr. Diaz's office by May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!
The Student News Site of Santa Maria High School

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

SMHS’s Close Up Club In DC

SMHS’s Close Up Club for the 2024 DC trip crew, photo provided by Ms. Pineda

Santa Maria High School’s Close Up club students received two generous grants to help them attend an educational program in DC next week.

From March 2nd through 8th, fifteen SMHS students will be traveling to Washington DC for a weeklong educational program through the nonprofit, nonpartisan organization – the Close Up Foundation. They will be educated in civics, current events, participate in a mock Congress, and debate issues with students from around the nation. In addition, they will spend a day on Capitol Hill, visiting the offices of their representatives, and see all the beautiful sights of our nation’s capital.

The students were awarded a $3000 grant from the Fund for Santa Barbara, Youth Making Change, in addition to a generous grant from the Eagle Foundation. Advisors, Amy Hennings and Richard Guiremand, will be traveling with the students to DC.

“It is a challenge to raise the funds necessary to keep this program active, and the generous grants we received, along with the support from our staff and community have been critical in continuing to offer our students this unique, inspiring, and eye-opening experience.” – Club Advisor Amy Hennings.

“I’m looking forward to meeting people from around the country. The trip will be a great way to see how diverse our nation is while also learning how to create compromise and understanding. ” – Evan Hoyos, 12th grade.

“I have been looking forward to the Close Up Washington DC Trip since my junior year because I’d like to see firsthand how the government is ran, explore DC, and meet new people and our representatives” Vanessa Nunez-Jacuinde 12th grade.

When the students return, they will be presenting their experience to staff and students and are organizing a voter registration drive to be held March 22 at their Spring Fair as well.