Happening Now
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 25Seniors! Buy Your Gradnite Tickets By This Friday! Only 10 Left!
  • April 23If You Plan to Participate in the Powderpuff Game the Informational Meeting is this Friday, at Lunch, Outside the Ethel Pope Auditorium
  • April 18Seniors: Remember that Senior Appeal forms for Prom are due to Mr. Diaz's office by May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

Latinos Unidos Conference of 2024

SMJUHSD’s Latinos Unidos Club, photo provided by Ms. Pineda

SMJUHSD’s Latinos Unidos Clubs will stress the theme, “Our Roots, Our Power,” during the 11th annual Latinos Unidos Conference at Righetti High School on Saturday, March 9th.

RHS, PVHS and SMHS students plan to use the day (8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.) to sharpen their public speaking skills, create comradery across sites, cultivate a sense of purpose and belonging, and develop their voice to have courageous conversations centered on the experiences they’re currently facing at school and home. The clubs encourage and welcome all students to attend this event, not just those who identify as Latinx/Hispanic.

Breakfast, lunch, a t-shirt, and a wide variety of goodie bags will be provided to all students. The keynote speakers will be Susana Espinoza and Carlos Gonzalez, two RHS alumni and current UC Berkeley students. Entertainment will be provided by PVHS Ballet Folklórico and Aliados de la 4, a Latino music group from SMHS.

“The conference represents a symbol of unity and representation amongst our Chicano and Latino community, and to me, it is a great opportunity to express the importance of our roots an culture. Students should attend the Latinos Unidos conference to engage with fellow classmates who come from similar ethnic backgrounds and make connections with those who share equal values as well. When we have these conferences, it opens the doors for students to learn more about themselves and their history. Our main goal is to allow students from diverse ethnic backgrounds to feel represented and valued.” – Quetzalli Alvarez, Junior, RHS, Latinos Unidos Club President.

“The Latinos Unidos Conference means a chance to make a difference in my own community. It’s a place where I can freely express myself and discover parts of my identity & culture, I wasn’t aware of. I believe students should attend this conference to empower themselves & discover something special.” – Isaelia Cristobal, Senior, SMHS

“Being part of Latinos Unidos has allowed me to understand our community a little better and has taught me how to work with others who feel the same way I do.” – Nayeli Limon, Junior, PVHS.

Club advisors say they are proud of the students for stepping out of their comfort zone to organize, build and run a conference that tackles relevant issues in the community.

“Serving as the Latinos Unidos advisor continues to be one of the best parts of being an educator. Through this conference, I am holding space for students to come together from across the district, have meaningful discussions and learn that their stories and experiences are valuable. They explore their talents and realize that each one has something important to contribute to such an impactful event. The conference reflects a true collaboration amongst students, educators, community members and administrators who believe in the power of agency.” – Patricia Villalobos, Latinos Unidos Advisor and Conference Coordinator.

FOLLOWING ARE THE STUDENT LED WORKSHOPS:

• Embroidering our Roots
  • Self-Journaling
  • Inner Root Healing circle
  • Unidos en Danza
  • Voice is Our Power
  • History of Latino culture
  • Change Starts with You
  • Del Pasado al Presente
  • Ethnic Tags
  • The Strength in our Roots (Latino Empowerment)