Happening Now
  • February 21Attention SMHS Students: Unfortunately, the Sadie Hawkins Dance has been cancelled due to lack of ticket sales
  • February 20Juniors and Seniors- If you are interested in attending Hancock College’s Career Exploration, please pick up a permission slip in the College and Career Center
  • February 15No school this Friday (2/16) and Monday (2/19)!
  • February 15Congrats to our girls basketball team for their 1st round CIF win over Pioneer Valley! Score: 61:33
  • February 14Congrats to the boys varsity boys basketball team for a CIF playoff win over Sanger West High School 73-64! Our Saints advance to the quarterfinals vs #1 seed Coalinga!
  • February 14Juniors & Seniors: Interested in attending Hancock College’s Career Exploration on March 8th? Pick up a permission slip with Ms. Acosta in the Library.
  • February 14Last chance to buy a Valentine gram from the Saints band! (2/14)
  • February 14French Club is selling plush keychains and heart cookies for $1 today! (2/14)
  • February 14Ag Department will be selling flowers today! (2/14)
  • February 8The Saints Band will be selling Valentine's Grams by the band shelter during break, lunch, and after school for $3, $5, or $8
The Student News Site of Santa Maria High School

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

Future Saint Night

Two future saints posing for the camera hold an SM t-shirt. Photo Provided By Ms. Pineda

More than 100 incoming SMHS freshmen from various junior high schools got a glimpse of student life during the second annual Future Saint Night on Thursday.

The event, which was designed to highlight academic, club, athletic and other student opportunities, took place inside Wilson gym and outside on the practice field.

The eighth graders received a folder with important information about what they’ll need for registration, elective course descriptions, flyers for College and Career staff and services, as well as a flyer with their counselors contact information. The students also had the chance to meet their counselors and take pictures at one of the photo booths.

“This was a great event for incoming freshmen. We got a sneak peek on everything SMHS has to offer; sports, clubs, and different electives.”— Miguel Grimaldo, Incoming Freshmen

“I really loved meeting our incoming freshmen and their families. I kept asking them if they were nervous about high school and of course they all said yes. But I pointed to all the current students and adults in the gym and told them, ‘We’ve all been where you are and you can see that we’re ok’. I got a couple of smiles out of telling them that. I can’t wait to have them on our campus next year.”— Fatima Gonzalez, Senior/Incoming Freshmen Counselor

“It is an exciting event which affords us the opportunity to meet our incoming freshmen and their families. Additionally, they have an opportunity to speak to teachers about elective classes that they will be signing up for in the early spring and find out about all the clubs and sports they can join or try out for. This is a golden opportunity for both parties as we will be working in partnership for the next four years.” — Monica Pallan, SMHS Assistant Principal.

• The SM Gym being filled with incoming future saint. Photo Provided By Ms. Pineda

• Future Saints checking out our bicycle club. Photo Provided By Ms. Pineda

Each student also received a free future Saint t-shirt, according to Saint Counselor Erica Martinez.