Happening Now
  • June 7Happy Summer, Saints! Enjoy your much-deserved time off. School resumes on August 15, 2024.

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

Santa Maria High School Reality Fair

Santa Maria High Schools’ Reality Fair this year at their gym

More than 750 Santa Maria High School 9th graders learned about why academics matter and financial literacy during a “Reality Fair” on Friday, May 17th.

The freshmen received a paycheck based on their grades (GPA’s) from the first semester and then made purchases and paid bills like an adult. The students monitored their spending with an Excel budget spreadsheet that they had already downloaded.

The fair happened inside the Wilson gym where there were booths – featuring local business representatives and staff for them to visit – Banking, Automotive, Realty, Insurance, Grocery, Utilities and Entertainment.

“It was pretty neat and interesting,’’ said student Caylee Baltodano. “It’s good to know how to be responsible with my money. I’m going to stick to a budget.’’

“The goal was for the students to visit all seven stations and finish the fair without going into debt,’’ said Saint 9th grade school counselor Terzino Gaeta. “We hope this experience encouraged our students to not only graduate from high school, but to continue their education into college or a vocational school so they can earn a living working in a well-paying job.’’

SMHS would like to thank several local businesses for participating in the event. They include SESLOC, Santa Maria KIA, AAA, PB & Associates Real Estate Services, Albertsons, and Kohls.