Litter bugs on campus

We often see trash everywhere we go, it’s like there’s no escape
Students leaving their trash while they head to class, without picking up after themselves. Leaving Maintenace to pick up after them.
Aida Perez-Lopez

What would happen if maintenance stopped picking up students’ trash on campus? Would students start picking up their own trash or will we just live on an island of trash?

It seemed like a few years ago we used to have a dilemma with students not throwing away their trash, it still happens to be like that this year. However, it’s not a new issue, this has been an ongoing never-ending problem, even though it has a solution.

Which is really simple:

1. Pick up your trash
  2. Find the nearest trash can
  3. Throw your trash in the trash can

Even though the school puts trash cans almost everywhere on the campus, students still choose to not throw away their trash in the trash cans. It could literally be right next to them and they still won’t throw way their trash in the trash can.

We used to have a lot of seagulls roaming on the campus, but now we just have quite a lot of crows instead. We wouldn’t have a problem with seagulls or crows roaming around our campus if you picked up your trash.

I mean it’d be nice to be able to see how students on the campus would do if we didn’t have maintenance picking after them for a week. So I asked a few students what they thought would happen if we did test it out for a week. A few of the students did say that the trash would pile up. So I asked a few of the students and this is what they said.

“It’s people’s decisions whether they want to throw out their trash or not. I feel like it’s something that makes me uncomfortable, when I seem that they don’t throw away their trash.”-Belinda

“I mean at some point we would notice, that we leave too much trash. And eventually we’ll perhaps, pick up our own trash.” -Alex Garcia

I was thinking that we should have a restriction on having students who litter, pick up all the trash on campus. I feel like throwing your school lunch food on the ground, is what my brother of 1-year-old does, or even the dogs, well maybe not the dogs since they still eat their food from the ground- what I’m trying to say is that your parents have educated you before about throwing your own trash in the trash can. And please don’t go around shoving sandwiches in Mrs.Powell’s birdhouse, her birdhouse is not a trash bin.

However, besides students littering on campus, and shoving sandwiches in the birdhouse.

We owe a thank you to the janitors/maintenance for picking up our trash in the field, especially in those weathers.

I would 100% be complaining if I had to pick up students’ trash every day on a sunny day, or on a cold day. I personally would feel great picking up trash for the environment, if it was for community service, but I can’t imagine myself picking up trash every day just because students don’t want to pick up after themselves. The maintenance is not your mom/dad they should most definitely not be picking up after you anymore. De verdad se pasan ustedes.

At the end of the day, you yourself know whether you have littered, that it’s your trash, however even then it would be nice to care for the environment, so maybe start picking up after your trash from now on. If there are no trash cans around, just slide it in your pocket until you find one, or just hold onto your trash. And hopefully, you seek a trash can, somewhere out there, since we often see trash bins around campus a lot. And just in general let’s keep the community clean and fresh, instead of keeping it like your messy room.