Happening Now
  • May 14Interested in Boys Water Polo? There is a meeting today in Room 610 (5/14)
  • May 14Want to join Boys Wrestling? Come to room 352 for an informational meeting on 5/15
  • May 14The SMHS Guitar Orchestra is performing outside in the Band Shelter THURSDAY (5/23) at 7:00 PM. Tickets are only $3.00!
  • May 13Congratulations to Maria Navarro who placed 2nd and 3rd in the 300 and 100 hurdles at Friday’s CIF Division 2 Championships!
  • May 13Interested in conditioning for girl's wrestling? Join us in the weight room Monday-Thursday afterschool or contact Coach Torres
  • May 13Athletes: there will be free physicals in the Wilson gym from 4-6:30 @ 5/15. Bring your parent signed physical form to receive a free physical.
  • May 13Girls flag football will have tryouts 5/16 & 5/17 after school from 4-5:30 on the open grass area behind the softball field. Must have a 2.0 GPA & completed physical! If you have questions, visit coach (Herbert) in room 146
  • May 9Seniors: Graduation Cap/Gowns Will Be Delivered Today At Lunch, Outside The Wilson Gym Lobby
  • May 6Seniors, Please Check Your School Email; You Have Been Sent Information Regarding The Money You Owe For Books, School Equipment, Etc
  • May 1Graduation Practice: 6/5 Seniors are to be in Wilson gym by 8:30 a.m. and practice @ 9 a.m

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

One Thing About Me, Yeppp…I’m Coming Home!

Santa Maria High School has students and organizers alike excited as it celebrates Homecoming with a “Once Upon a Time” theme, with many people running for Homecoming Court, and organizers eager to tell the process.

This year’s Homecoming looked to be a success from the beginning, with multiple students having made the decision to run for Homecoming court. Homecoming of course, as with previous year’s was another stunning event, with Senior Israel Gonzalez saying, “It was fun.” he was an especially big fan of the circle that formed around one student who was “apparently breakdancing”. “Yeah, showing off the moves.”, He’d said. This year’s Homecoming queen, Maritza Nava having had loads of fun herself, saying she was even able to reconnect with her sophomore year friend group, “Homecoming brought us together in a way”.

Maritza had actually run for Homecoming Princess the year before. “I just know my junior year was more like competition, it felt like competition” she’d said about the experience, and that when she ran again for Queen this year, she took it less like competitively, “This time I felt more like it wasn’t stressful, it was like, I’m doing this for fun”. Ironically enough, after deciding to run for the fun of it instead, along with the fact that she’d lost the year before, she of course didn’t have many expectations, “I wasn’t thinking too much, like I’m gonna win 100%”, apparently, she’d been “in shock” when the results were announced.

We want to be able to reward students for doing the right thing, which is attending class on time.

— Mr. Salazar

Homecoming’s success could have only been guaranteed by none other than our own ASB, which is in charge of organizing the event, and making sure everything runs smoothly. For the first time in the school’s history, they’ve decided to give students the chance to win homecoming tickets as long as they get to their classes in time.  “We want to be able to reward students for doing the right thing, which is attending class on time.” is what Adrian Salazar, ASB supervisor, had to say about the decision.

Another thing Salazar had to say about this year’s Homecoming is the number of Juniors participating in the event, with many having run for Homecoming Court,”Initially we had allocated only 3 spots, but because we had a lot of Juniors participate, we increased it to 6.” He said on the amount of Princess candidates, “so for the first time the Junior court will have 6 participants, and not the traditional 3.”

Of course, before Homecoming, there’s always the events leading up to Homecoming. The Homecoming Rally, as always, is a fun event full of celebration and appreciation for the alumni. With three awesome skits, it’s always great to see student’s hard at work to represent their class. Then, there was the Homecoming game wherein the Santa Maria Saints winning against the Templeton Eagles 24-19. All in all, 2024’s Homecoming season was another great one.