Happening Now
  • June 7Happy Summer, Saints! Enjoy your much-deserved time off. School resumes on August 15, 2024.
The Student News Site of Santa Maria High School

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

SMHS Jacob Andree Selected Scholar Athlete

Jacob Andree, Scholar-Athlete of the Central Coast Athletic Association. photo provided by arcy pineda

Santa Maria High School’s Jacob Andree was recently selected Scholar-Athlete of the Central Coast Athletic Association for the CIF Central Section, making him the 1st Saint in school history to earn the award.

Jacob received the award May 6th at The Gardens in Tulare. Next, he will represent SMHS at the Northern Santa Barbara Roundtable on May 15th as the Male Scholar Athlete of the Year.

Each Scholar-Athlete will get $500, a CIF Scholar Athlete patch and a trophy. All together throughout the CIF Central Section, there were 44 wonderful Scholar Athletes chosen. Four of them will receive $1,000. The Central Section is one of 10 sections that covers California. There are 101 schools in the Central Section that covers the Central Coast, Bakersfield, Fresno, Tulare, and Visalia areas.

“Jacob is the perfect example of the type of Student Athlete we want representing Santa Maria High School,’’ said Saint Athletic Director Dan Ellington. Jacob participated in four different sports, football, baseball, volleyball, and basketball. Jacob was a starting receiver for the football team and is currently starting in center field on the baseball team. His football and basketball teams made it to the quarterfinals. What truly separates Jacob from many can’t be found on a stat sheet. Jacob is a wonderful teammate, coachable, and leads by example. Congratulations Jacob.’’

Jacob, who has a 4.0 career GPA, is headed to Arizona University where he will study Kinesiology.