“Mother Road” Leads Many Viewers to a Feeling of Home

courtesy of PCPA

Mother Road, a production written by Octavio Solis will be performed March 10-27 at the Severson Theatre on Hancock’s campus.

On March 24, 2022, 75 Santa Maria High School students and community members attended the PCPA play “Mother Road,” by Latino playwright Octavio Solis. The play addresses themes relating to family, injustice toward immigrants and farm workers, racism, homophobia, and much more.

Several SMHS students, along with teacher Ricardo Valencia, attended the play on March 24, 2022. (Gemma Garcia)

According to Chicano/Latino Studies teacher Ricardo Valencia, this field trip to Allan Hancock College and the PCPA was a chance to treat students to a much deserved off-campus educational opportunity.  “Our local youth should all have the chance to see a world-class play that is culturally relevant and that encourages people to empathize with the struggles of marginalized communities. I would like to thank the PCPA and all of the AHC staff for inviting us and providing an excellent tour of the campus.  AHC students sacrificed part of their Spring Break to also provide a student panel where they encouraged high school youth to honor the sacrifices of their families by attaining higher education and not letting obstacles get in the way of their success.”

Our local youth should all have the chance to see a world-class play that is culturally relevant and that encourages people to empathize with the struggles of marginalized communities.

— Ricardo Valencia

Santa Maria High School students had a great time.

Junior Lupita Tovar summarized her experience by saying, “I enjoyed the play. It brought awareness to how racism was and is still an issue in America. The actors put a lot of emotion to the role they played. Their acting made me feel like I was there to witness the racism the character Martin went through because he was Mexican-American.”

According to junior Leslie Hernandez, “During the trip to AHC, it genuinely opened my eyes as they guided us through campus. They encouraged us to go to college. The PCPA program was really amazing too.”

Senior Dira Sanchez, who was just recently admitted to UC Berkeley, said, “The field trip gave me a sense of home. The actor who played Martin did a great job portraying the life of a field worker, which is something many of us can relate to.”