Unmasked: Students and Staff Can Ditch the Coverings After Next Friday, March 11

Although the mask mandate that requires students and staff to wear masks in schools ends after March 11, 2022, it is strongly encouraged that we all still wear them.

Mrs. van D

Over the previous two years, masks on campus have been mandated. Beginning March 12th, that mandate will be lifted.

Governor Newsom has announced on February 28th that schools in California will no longer mandate mask wearing for staff or students. You can read the press release here. 

From the Santa Barbara County Education Office https://www.sbceo.org/Page/1605

“NEW MASKING GUIDANCE 

STUDENTS:

• Effective March 12, 2022, masks are not required – but are strongly recommended – indoors in schools and child care facilities, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Until March 12, 2022, masks are required indoors, with limited exceptions for athletes during physical exertion, and while eating or drinking.
  • For 10 days following a positive COVID-19 test or a close contact, regardless of vaccination status, masks are still recommended.

SCHOOL EMPLOYEES

• Effective March 1, 2022, masks are not required – but strongly recommended – for employees in indoor school settings where children are not present, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Effective March 12, 2022, masks are not required – but strongly recommended – for employees in indoor school settings where children are present, regardless of vaccination status.
  • For 10 days following a positive COVID-19 test or a close contact, regardless of vaccination status, masks are still recommended.”

What does this mean for our students and staff?   Below, is the district-wide email our Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources, Kevin Platt:

“On February 28, Governor Newsom and the California Department of Public Health (“CDPH”) announced that the State requirement of masking in school settings will expire on March 12, 2022. (See https://schools.covid19.ca.gov/.) Cal/OSHA has aligned with this position as well. The County of Santa Barbara has confirmed that it will be following the State guidance and will not require masking in school settings after March 12, 2022. The District will follow the guidance of our State and local public health departments. We want our District community to be aware of the following requirements, timelines and responsibilities:

• Masking continues to be required through Friday, March 11, 2022.
  • Effective Saturday, March 12 masking will no longer be required when at school for students or staff regardless of vaccination status, but will be strongly recommended and students, staff and families may choose whether to wear masks in school settings.
  • Masks are considered an effective measure in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
  • The District will continue to make masks available for those individuals that want them.
  • Please keep in mind that there may be a variety of reasons why individuals may continue to wear a mask. Please be respectful and considerate of others at all times.
  • The District will continue to be required to have staff either submit evidence of being fully vaccinated or submit to weekly COVID-19 testing.
  • The District will continue to have testing available to those staff and students who request to be tested.
  • The District will continue to be required to conduct group contact tracing.
  • Students and staff should continue to remain home when sick and follow guidance regarding testing, quarantine, and isolation.”

Please keep in mind that there may be a variety of reasons why individuals may continue to wear a mask. Please be respectful and considerate of others at all times.

— Kevin Platt, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources

Once the announcement went out about reversing the mask mandate, The Breeze staff conducted a poll, asking Now that California has reversed mask mandates in school, effective March 11th, will you still wear a mask after March 11th (if the school doesn’t mandate it)?  At the time of publication, 64% of those polled said, Absolutely! I want to stay safe,”  while 17% said, No; I can’t wait to ditch this thing,” and 20% of those polled said they’d still wear a mask, “only if someone else tells me I have to.”