Mrs. Bergstrom

Mrs. Bergstrom

Mrs. Bergstrom

Mrs. Bergstrom is our “EL Specialist.” She supports the English Language Learners on campus.

Mrs. Bergstrom is from Fresno, CA. She has a BA in English and an M.A. in English-Composition from Fresno State. She taught at Fresno State as a First-Year writing instructor during her M.A. program. She has also taught at Reedley College, Clovis Community College, and McLane High School. She said, “I also highlighted as a Program Assistant/English instructor for Reedley College’s Upward Bound Program as well as an Assistant Coordinator of the Tutorial Center at Clovis Community College.” She switched between History and English as a major in her undergraduate degree. She said, “When I began my M.A. program I studied Literature-specifically the Irish author’s during the Romantic period. I switched to composition as an emphasis because I felt supporting students in writing was important in preparing students with the skills necessary to succeed in a Democratic society.”

Her plans were not always to be a teacher. She said, “I did not always plan to become a teacher, but fell in love with the idea of making a difference with something I enjoyed learning about.” She likes to be outside, to try new foods and new experiences. She said, “I love taking my kids to the beach, rollerblading with them, and taking them on hikes.”

If she were a fruit she would be a watermelon. She said, “watermelon, because it is my favorite fruit to eat.”

When asked about her family, she said, “My husband and I have two daughters and a dog. Our house is filled with chaotic love.” There are also some things that she enjoys doing. She said, “I am not a big sports fan, but I love going to sporting events for the people watching and the food. I have an eclectic taste in music so what I listen to changes based on my mood–but I am open to listening to anything for the most part. We like watching scary movies at home–or Nicholas Cage movies because they are so bad, they are good.” She said she doesn’t go to the gym but she stays active and works out at home.

She has always wanted to support others. She said, “I have always been interested in working in a role that supports others or makes the community better in some way–even if it is a small contribution. I want to have a positive impact with the work I do.” Mrs. Bergstrom loves what she does. She said that she loves working at SMHS. She said, “I love what I do here. When I get the chance to support students in communicating effectively, thinking critically, and responding to the world around them in a productive way, I see them learn to become powerful members of our society. I am passionate about seeing students learn the communicative and thinking tools necessary to lift themselves up to great heights.” She has a tip for students who are planning to go to college, “Build a community of support around you, don’t be afraid to ask for help.” When asked to give a piece of life advice she said, “In the wise words of Oscar Wilde: ‘You can never be overdressed or overeducated.'”

The Breeze • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$125
$500