Happening Now
  • April 25Seniors: Remember That Senior Appeal Forms For Prom Are Due To Mr. Diaz's Office By May 8th
  • April 25Seniors! Buy Your Gradnite Tickets By This Friday! Only 10 Left!
  • April 23If You Plan to Participate in the Powderpuff Game the Informational Meeting is this Friday, at Lunch, Outside the Ethel Pope Auditorium
  • April 18Seniors: Remember that Senior Appeal forms for Prom are due to Mr. Diaz's office by May 8th
  • April 18Submissions for our ART SHOWCASE are due May 10th and will be submitted to the newest issue of our Halo magazine!
  • April 15Seniors: There are a few Gradnite tickets left at the ASB Business Office! Buy yours today!!

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

The People Behind Sound of Freedom

VSG
    Director of Sound of Freedom (2023)

Sound of Freedom (2023) is an indie film many readers have probably heard about, as it blew up in popularity last summer with its unique “pay it forward” marketing and an audience incredibly eager to do just that. Directed by Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, and distributed by Mormon run media company Angel Studios, this film is in line with the many previous works of all parties.

Alejandro Monteverde is a faith-based Mexican film director who seemed destined for greatness from the beginning of his career with many awards to his name, some for his first film ever directed, Bella. Bella tells the story of the main character, Jose, trying to convince a financially struggling woman to put her baby up for adoption, instead of going for an abortion. The film ended up winning the People’s Choice Award at the 2006 Toronto International Film Festival. He also ended up getting recognized by President George W. Bush for the movie.

Bella (2006) poster
    Monteverde with President George W. Bush and first lady Laura Bush

The makers of this film had a very hard time getting it out there. It was first owned by 20th Century Fox, however after Disney bought the company, thereafter they shelved the movie. It is thanks to Angel Studios acquiring the rights did the movie end up going out nearly 5 years later. Though Angel Studios may be run by Mormons, they don’t specifically distribute Mormon films, just films that they believe “amplify light”. A lot of the other movies they distribute have strong Christian themes. They were also the ones behind their unique marketing through crowdfunding efforts.