Happening Now
  • May 16Interested in trying out for the JV or Varsity Summer Basketball Teams? Please come to the tryouts on Monday 5/20 from 5:30pm-6:45pm in our Wilson Gym.
  • May 16Today the art gallery is open during most periods for class visits and also during lunch. Please support our student artists and come see their paintings, photographs, and drawings!
  • May 14Interested in Boys Water Polo? There is a meeting today in Room 610 (5/14)
  • May 14Want to join Boys Wrestling? Come to room 352 for an informational meeting on 5/15
  • May 14The SMHS Guitar Orchestra is performing outside in the Band Shelter THURSDAY (5/23) at 7:00 PM. Tickets are only $3.00!
  • May 13Congratulations to Maria Navarro who placed 2nd and 3rd in the 300 and 100 hurdles at Friday’s CIF Division 2 Championships!
  • May 13Interested in conditioning for girl's wrestling? Join us in the weight room Monday-Thursday afterschool or contact Coach Torres
  • May 13Athletes: there will be free physicals in the Wilson gym from 4-6:30 @ 5/15. Bring your parent signed physical form to receive a free physical.
  • May 13Girls flag football will have tryouts 5/16 & 5/17 after school from 4-5:30 on the open grass area behind the softball field. Must have a 2.0 GPA & completed physical! If you have questions, visit coach (Herbert) in room 146
  • May 9Seniors: Graduation Cap/Gowns Will Be Delivered Today At Lunch, Outside The Wilson Gym Lobby

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Breeze

The Sun Rises on the Class of 2024

The class of 2024 start their year off bright and early. On September 15th, 2023 Seniors shared one of the first major events for to kick off their final year at Santa Maria High School.
The+class+of+2024+along+with+class+advisors+and+counselors.+
Adrian Salazar
The class of 2024 along with class advisors and counselors.

At 5:30 in the morning, September 15th, senior students were ready to see the sun rise at the SMHS football field, The reason for the event? Senior counselor, Fatima Gonzalez, stated, “We are having our first kind of like big senior event with our seniors, we’re waking up, this is the senior sunrise. We’re gonna watch the sun rise together as a group and as a class and we’re gonna celebrate with each other.”

“A record number of students… out here in this early day ready to come in at 5:30 in the morning we had our 15 [ASB] students ready to come in and 10 minutes later we have  over 100 students already,” said ASB Adviser, Adrian Salazar.  By the end of the event there had been an estimated 200 students in attendance. They brought pillows, blankets, and even their own breakfast.

Other than dressing up in Hawaiian attire for the welcome home rally, seniors haven’t had any other major events for the whole class.

“I think the meaning is just you know being able to gather… it’s a new concept… the meaning of it is to be together and enjoy seeing the sun go up” – Senior counselor, Fatima Gonzalez.

This event allowed seniors to be together and engage in activities together. There was breakfast provided for all those who showed up. There were different activities for students to participate in, including a bean bag toss, a poster with hand prints and signatures, or just laying down on the field waiting for the sunrise.

Honestly I just wanna make the most of my senior year so every activity Imma try my best to come cause memories you know

— Angel Herrera

When asked why they would attend such an early event, many seniors agreed with Alexis Vargas: “I was forced to come by my friends… Yeah I was peer pressured.” A friend of Alexis had a different response. “Honestly I just wanna make the most of my senior year so every activity Imma try my best to come cause memories you know” Says Senior, Angel Herrera.

Although many of them were “peer pressured” to be there, everyone seemed to be enjoying this once in a lifetime opportunity to bond with their peers. Yet we all still question, what is it for? Luckily, Senior advisor, Sierra Taylor has an answer for us. “The goal is that when you start your senior year you watch the sun rise together and you become a community and then at the end of the year, our goal is to have a sunset and then you watch it set. Then you go off, you go to college, you get your jobs, and you become young adults.” Ms. Taylor, along with Ms. Clabough, arranged this event for the senior class of 2024. Hopefully, we can get the whole senior class to show up for senior sunset, which sounds more accomplishable.

View Comments (2)
$125
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Santa Maria High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.