Drug Use On Campus: A Recurring Problem

Parents who use marijuana may increase the likelihood that their kids will partake in it as well as other drugs, a new study suggests. File Photo Jantaaa/Pixabay

Drug use on campus is a serious issue that should be taken seriously. It’s important to be aware of the dangers of drugs use and to avoid using drugs. If you see someone using or carrying drugs you should always report it.

Drugs on campus has always been a big problem, you can walk into any restroom throughout school and you’ll almost always see someone smoking out of something or drinking alcohol. Even before school you can see people drinking and smoking right outside of the campus. I’ve seen people smoke and drink in class and I’ve witnessed some of the bad outcomes that comes with doing so.

I’ve noticed security are guarding bathrooms a lot more regularly as well since the supposed overdoses. It’s always best to stay safe and say no to drugs.  There’s people who sell drugs on campus and I’ve seen that happen multiple times too.

Drug use particularly impacts a person’s brain, especially if you are a teenager. It can alter your development and can change the way your brain functions. Drug use can lead to addiction and having to rely on drugs in order to get through another day and that’s something no one should have to do. According to an article published in 2019 in the Journal of the American Medical Association, “researchers from Harvard Medical School, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institute on Drug Abuse noted that approximately 8 percent of mothers with adolescent or young adult children living at home have used marijuana within the past year, while more than 9 percent of fathers had done so.”  It’s important to always avoid drugs and to make sure if you see someone using drugs or with drugs on them to report it to proper authorities to have a safe and healthy environment for everyone on campus.