Ten Facts about Mrs. Ries
Mrs. Ries is a History teacher here at SM, learn some facts about her
- Mrs. Ries is in her second year of teaching History here at SMHS.
- Mrs. Ries was a long term sub and Librarian at Righetti High school before coming to teach here.
- Mrs. Ries got her Bachelor’s degree at North Carolina State University and got her Master’s degree and her teaching credential through National University.
- She went to Valley Christian Academy here in Santa Maria.
- Mrs. Ries said that what inspired her to become a teacher was that she has a son who is dyslexic. “I didn’t decide to become a teacher until I was a parent. My son has a learning disability. He is dyslexic and there were a few teachers who made a huge difference to change his life; that’s when I decided I wanted to be one of those people.
- Mrs. Ries has five kids, so for fun she does activities with her kids, since most of them are involved in sports.
- Mrs. Ries is very passionate about history and this was her reason: “I feel like history is kind of a window to what we, as a society or community, can face in the future; if we don’t learn from what we have done in the past. So when they say ‘History repeats itself,’ it very much can repeat itself if we don’t learn to do it differently from the mistakes we made before.” She is also passionate about music.
- Mrs. Ries’ family consists of teachers. Her mom, grandma, and great grandma were all teachers, along with her three sisters.
- Mrs. Ries says she has a great sense of humor and she likes to talk to the students about their lives which gives her great communication skills with her students.
- Here is some advice from Mrs. Ries: ” Manage your time wisely” & “Don’t let your first interaction with a person be what is the deciding factor of who they are as a human being, because you never know what a person is going through, and always give someone a little bit of grace.”