New School Hours for 2022

Studies Show Teens Need More Sleep; California is Accommodating Them

courtesy of Tina van den Heever

With Newsom signing into law a start time for schools no earlier than 8:30 a.m., the school day will be ending well into the afternoon. This will impact several after-school activities.

Gabriela Rojas, Contributor

For the past years the school hours for  schools in California have been the same, but during his term, Governor Gavin Newsom signed a new law which is now making it illegal to begin the school day before a certain time. The new law requires all middle schools to begin classes after 8:00 am and for high schools to start after 8:30 am. This new law does not affect elementary school, so their school hours won’t be changing.

Governor Gavin signed the legislation in October 2019. The law won’t take effect until next school year which is 2022/2023. After Governor Gavin signed this legislation California became the first state in the nation to have requirements for later school start hours.

The law won’t take effect until next school year which is 2022/2023.”

The law won’t take effect until next school year which is 2022/2023.[/pullquote]One reason for the new school hours  is because research has shown that teens focus more if they get more rest and it might decrease the chances of them being late or absent.

Some people weren’t happy about this while others were. Most students were happy about this because they have more time to sleep and they worry less about being late. On the other hand, some students were upset because they have adapted to their schedule and they don’t want to have to make a change. Some students also do sports and this new schedule may effect that.  One of the students who disagree with the new schedule is freshman Jessica, who said, “I don’t like the new school hours; it will mess up my schedule and other students’ schedules.”

Many won’t like the new schedule, but since it is now mandatory, everyone will have to adjust.  Including teachers.  Starting next school year their new contracted time will be from 8:15 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.  Currently, it’s 7:25 a.m. until 3:10 p.m.  How this will impact sports seasons and the athletes who participate is yet to be seen, but one thing is for sure: if you are always late to class because you oversleep, this can help!  For more information on brain studies on teens, click here.